Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Getting organized genealogy style Day 4

It has been a few "days" between my Day 3 and Day 4 posts but such is life!! I purchased more supplies to continue working on Dear Myrtle's January organization checklist. I now have plenty of sheet protectors and tabbed dividers. However, I did not purchase enough 3 ring binders, but I can still get started.

After going through the checklist, multiple times, I decided it would be best for me to tweak the system to meet my needs. I put all surnames, direct and collateral, in binders alphabetically. I then created a separate notebook to file just my family group sheets. In that folder I did separate out direct and collateral lines.

I still have filing to complete before I get to the item on the checklist that I believe will be the most challenging...reconciling what I have on paper with electronic copies and data input into my Legacy database. Whew...not looking forward to that right now! I do feel a small sense of accomplishment, which I believe is what Dear Myrtle's checklist is all about. Organizing in small doses will still get you where you need to be.

Tomorrow I am going to the Midwest Genealogy Center in Independence, Missouri to attend a class on Wills and Probate records. I hope to be bringing home more documents to file!