Sunday, October 20, 2013

Doing My Homework As a New GenSoc Board Member

As a new board member for MoSGA, I've been working to prepare myself for my first official genealogy related board meeting on November 2nd. I'm a strong believer in preparation and getting a lay of the land so to speak.

I've read the Bylaws, the Standing Rules, last month's minutes and the reports for this month's meeting that have been submitted. I'm making my list, checking it twice and then cutting it by 75% because someone(s) advised me to go slowly and inch my way in. :)

To get a broader perspective of genealogy societies and how they operate I turned to the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS). I am very impressed with the volume of information available on the public side of the site. Their Society Strategy Series is extensive and I will slowly make my way through it. I can't wait to see if I can get my mouse behind the members only section, I can only imagine what I will find there.

Being that I am a self-proclaimed podcast junkie, I've listened to FGS Radio - My Society since the beginning and enjoy the episodes very much. There are many great interviews with societies sharing aspects of their programs that had success and those that didn't. I'll begin paying more attention as I listen.

It is very timely that FGS begins broadcasting a 3 part webinar series this week called Genealogy Society Membership and Communication with George G. Morgan as the presenter. All three segments look interesting and very applicable to all societies (not even necessarily genealogy). George is a very good speaker, be sure to register for all three.

So far I feel I have done my due diligence and can walk into this first board meeting, follow the conversation and keep my mouth shut effectively. I was considering memorizing Robert's Rules of Order. Do you think that would be overkill?




No comments:

Post a Comment